Manchester City vs Southampton LIVE Football Score 22 Jan 2022
About the match
Southampton is going head to head with Manchester City starting on 22 Jan 2022 at 17:30 UTC at St. Mary’s Stadium stadium, Southampton city, England. The match is a part of the Premier League.
Premier League leaders Manchester City will be looking to claim their 13th successive league victory when they face Southampton at St Mary’s on Saturday evening.
The Saints, meanwhile, who played out a goalless draw at the Etihad Stadium earlier this season, could move into the top 10 if they were to secure all three points on home soil.
Southampton’s five-game unbeaten run across all competitions came to an end last weekend when they were beaten 3-1 away at Wolverhampton Wanderers.
After Raul Jimenez and Conor Coady put the hosts two goals in front, set-piece king James Ward-Prowse scored an astonishing 35-yard free kick six minutes from time to give the Saints hope of a comeback; Only England legend David Beckham (18) has scored more Premier League free kicks than Southampton’s captain.
However, Wolves managed to restore their two-goal cushion and claim all three points when Adama Traore netted in stoppage time. That result has seen Ralph Hasenhuttl’s men slip to 12th in the table, 11 points clear of the relegation zone and the same number of points behind the top seven.
Hasenhuttl’s side also suffered defeat against Wolves on home soil earlier this season, but that has been their only league loss in 10 games at St Mary’s this campaign – drawing six and winning three of the other nine – a record which will give them confidence ahead of Saturday’s clash with the champions.
The Saints will also take note of their resilient display at the Etihad Stadium in September last year when they played out a goalless draw, though many would argue that the visitors were unlucky not to come away with all three points on that occasion.
Another impressive defensive performance will be required on Saturday if they are to avoid defeat in both league meetings with City for the first time since the 2002-03 campaign.
However, since keeping a clean sheet against the Citizens, Southampton have only recorded three shutouts in their last 16 league matches, shipping 27 goals in the process.
- Manchester City have won eight of the 10 most recent league meetings.
- Southampton earned a 0-0 draw in the reverse fixture but haven’t avoided defeat in both league encounters in a season since 2002-03.
- Southampton’s current seven-match unbeaten home league streak is their longest since a run of nine between March and October 2016.
- Their only defeat in 10 home league fixtures this season came against Wolves in September.
- They have won their last two Premier League home games against sides starting the day top of the table, having beaten Everton and Liverpool last season.
- Saints have recorded 10 home wins against the reigning champions of the Premier League, a tally beaten only by Liverpool’s 14.
- They could become just the third club to keep a clean sheet in both top-flight matches versus a Pep Guardiola-managed team in a season, emulating Borussia Monchengladbach (2014-15) and Manchester United (2020-21).
- After keeping five clean sheets in eight league games between September and November, they have conceded in each of their last 10 top-flight matches.
- James Ward-Prowse has scored 12 direct free-kicks in the Premier League, a total bettered only by David Beckham’s 18.
- Manchester City have won 12 Premier League games in a row by an aggregate score of 34-7. The 36 points they have accrued since losing to Crystal Palace in October is 13 more than any other side in the division.
- The only team to win as many as 12 successive top-flight matches in a season and not go on to win the title was Preston North End in 1891-92.
- City have won the last 19 league fixtures in which they have scored first.
- Their 13 clean sheets is a top-flight high this season. Only two of the 13 goals conceded by City have come before half-time, the fewest in the division.
- They have conceded just two goals from set pieces this season (one penalty, one from a corner), three fewer than any other side.
Southampton – Manchester City live – 22 January 2022
My Southampton XI
Choose your Southampton starting formation and line-up. It’s up to you how to approach it – you could go for the team you WANT the boss to pick or the one you THINK he will.
My Manchester City XI
Choose your Manchester City starting formation and line-up. It’s up to you how to approach it – you could go for the team you WANT the boss to pick or the one you THINK he will.
Southampton played really well when they came to Etihad Stadium in September. They got a point and were unlucky not to get all three.
But this Manchester City team is a different beast now compared with the way they were playing four months ago. They have won their past 12 league games and just look irresistible.
Saints were in pretty good form before they lost to Wolves last time out, and I am sure they will have a go at City, but Pep Guardiola’s side seem to have an answer for everything at the moment.
Leave a Reply