Manchester City vs Southampton LIVE Football Score 20 Mar 2022
About the match
Southampton is going head to head with Manchester City starting on 20 Mar 2022 at 15:00 UTC at St. Mary’s Stadium stadium, Southampton city, England. The match is a part of the FA Cup
Southampton and Manchester City will lock horns in the FA Cup on Sunday afternoon, with a spot in the semi-finals of the famous competition on offer to both teams. The Saints won the FA Cup back in 1976, while Man City have lifted the trophy on six previous occasions, the last of which was in 2019, when they overcame Watford in the final
Improving on last season’s 15th-place finish in the Premier League was always Southampton’s number one priority this term, and the Saints are certainly on course to achieve that goal, currently sitting 10th in the table, boasting 35 points from their 29 matches of the 2021-22 campaign. Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side will enter this match off the back of three straight league defeats, though, losing by four at Aston Villa on March 5 before going down 2-1 at home to both Newcastle United and Watford.
March has not been a happy month thus far, but beating Man City to advance to the semi-finals of the FA Cup would be the perfect way to bounce back, and it will be fascinating to see how the match unfolds at St Mary’s, particularly as Southampton have held the Citizens to two league draws this term.
The Saints, who previously won the FA Cup in 1976, have won three matches to advance to this stage of the competition, overcoming Swansea City and Coventry City before beating fellow Premier League West Ham United in the last round. Southampton have only beaten Man City once in any competition since May 2016, while their recent form has been disappointing, but this tournament is certainly capable of throwing up surprise results.
- This is the second time in the past three seasons that Southampton and City have met three times during a campaign – when it happened in 2019-20, Saints won the only one of those games to be held at St Mary’s, prevailing 1-0.
- Both Premier League meetings between the teams this season have ended level, 0-0 at Etihad Stadium and 1-1 at St Mary’s – the last side to face City at least three times in the same campaign without losing were Liverpool in 2015-16.
- Since Pep Guardiola joined Manchester City in 2016, Southampton have won just one of 13 matches between the sides (D3 L9), the aforementioned 1-0 win in July 2020 on home soil.
- City last met Southampton in the FA Cup in January 2007 in round four as goals from Darius Vassell, Joey Barton and DaMarcus Beasley turned a 1-0 deficit into a 3-1 win after Kenwyne Jones’ opener for Saints.
- Southampton have only lost three of their past 18 FA Cup matches, two of which have come at the semi-final stage at Wembley (W12 D3).
- Saints are unbeaten in their last eight home games in the competition (W6 D2), since a 5-0 loss to Arsenal in the fourth round in 2016-17.
- Armando Broja has been involved in four goals in five domestic cup appearances for Southampton this season, including two off the bench in the FA Cup, setting up a goal against Coventry and scoring against West Ham.
- This will be Manchester City’s fifth FA Cup quarter-final in six seasons under Pep Guardiola, only missing out on reaching the last eight in 2017-18.
- Each of City’s four previous quarter-final ties under Guardiola have come away from home – and they have won all four.
- No team has scored more FA Cup goals than Manchester City this season (10, level with Chelsea and Barrow).
- City have only failed to score in two of their past 19 FA Cup games – with both of those matches being semi-final defeats, to Chelsea and Arsenal, in the past two seasons.
Leave a Reply