Manchester City vs Leicester City Premier League LIVE Football Score 11 Sept 2021
Leicester City is going head to head with Manchester City starting on 11 Sept 2021 at 16:15 UTC . The match is a part of the Community Shield. Leicester City played against Manchester City in 1 matches this season.
FA Cup winners Leicester City and Premier League champions Manchester City will lock horns in the Community Shield at Wembley on Saturday evening.
Leicester secured their first ever FA Cup trophy last season courtesy of a 1-0 victory over Chelsea in the final on May 15, while Man City ultimately finished 12 points clear of second-place Manchester United at the top of the 2020-21 Premier League table to reclaim the title from Liverpool
The 2020-21 campaign will forever be remembered in the history of Leicester, as the Foxes won the FA Cup for the first time, but the season ended in disappointment in terms of the Premier League, with a 4-2 loss to Tottenham Hotspur on the final day seeing them drop out of the top four.
Brendan Rodgers’s side ultimately finished fifth last term, meaning that they will play in the Europa League again this season, rather than the Champions League, which looked to be a strong possibility for long spells.Leicester have now reset for the new season, and they have been involved in four friendlies this summer, losing their first two to Burton Albion and Wycombe Wanderers on July 24 and July 28 respectively before ending last month with a 3-3 draw against Queens Park Rangers.
The Foxes finished their preparations for the new campaign with a 3-2 victory over Villarreal on Wednesday, though, with Caglar Soyuncu, Harvey Barnes and Ayoze Perez on the scoresheet. Rodgers’s side have managed to bring in Patson Daka, Boubakary Soumare and Ryan Bertrand this summer, and more new additions are expected before the transfer window closes.
Man City, meanwhile, are bidding to win the Community Shield for the seventh time, having previously lifted this particular trophy in 1937, 1968, 1972, 2012, 2018 and 2019. The Citizens proved to be too strong for the rest of the competition in last season’s Premier League and will be looking to make the perfect start to the new campaign when they travel to Tottenham Hotspur in their opener on August 15, with Harry Kane’s future still very much up in the air.
Pep Guardiola’s side, who are said to be closing in on a £100m deal for Jack Grealish, have only been involved in three pre-season matches this summer, opening their preparations on July 27 with a 2-0 victory over Preston North End before putting four unanswered goals past Barnsley last weekend.
Man City then recorded a 4-1 win over Blackpool on Tuesday evening and will view Saturday’s contest as a valuable exercise with the new Premier League season just around the corner. As mentioned, a deal for Grealish is close to being announced, while Kane remains a leading target, and it will be fascinating to see whether the Manchester giants manage to sign both players before the end of the window
- This will be just the second meeting between Leicester and Manchester City at Wembley, with the Citizens winning the 1969 FA Cup final 1-0 in the other.
- Leicester have won just two of their 20 meetings with Man City outside of league competition (D7 L11), winning 3-0 in January 1920 and 4-3 in February 1968 (both FA Cup).
- Leicester have won their last two matches played at Wembley Stadium, just one fewer than they’d managed in their first 14 games at the venue (W3 D1 L10).
- This is Leicester’s third appearance in the Community Shield, beating Liverpool 1-0 in 1971 and losing 2-1 against Manchester United in 2016.
- Jamie Vardy has scored half of Leicester’s eight goals at the ‘new’ Wembley Stadium. However, he’s been on the losing side in all three games in which he’s found the net at Wembley for the Foxes.
- Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers is set to be the first British manager to take charge of a side in the Community Shield since David Moyes’ Manchester United beat Wigan 2-0 in 2013.
- Man City have won the Community Shield in three of their last four appearances in the match, as many as they had in their previous eight (W3 L5).
- Excluding 2019 (when Manchester City appeared as double winners), the FA Cup winners have won the Community Shield in five of the last six campaigns, with the exception being Man City’s 2-0 win over Chelsea in 2018.
- Man City have lost just two of their last 12 games at Wembley (W8 D2), with both defeats coming in consecutive FA Cup semi-final appearances (2020 vs Arsenal, 2021 vs Chelsea).
- Riyad Mahrez has played against Leicester City six times since leaving the Foxes for Manchester City in 2018, with the Algerian registering two goals and two assists in five starts against his former club over this period.