Chelsea vs Porto – LIVE Reddit Football Soccer 13 April 2021
Chelsea vs FC Porto: Match details
Match: Chelsea vs FC Porto
Competition: UEFA Champions League
Date: April 13, 2021
Kick-off time: 8:00 pm, April 13, 2021 (UK time)
Stadium: Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan
- Chelsea have won the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie for the 11th time, progressing on eight of the previous 10 occasions, failing only against Barcelona in 1999-2000 and Liverpool in 2006-07.
- There have only been four previous occasions of a side progressing after losing the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie without scoring a goal at ‘home’ – Ajax in 1995-96 vs Panathinaikos, Inter Milan in 2010-11 vs Bayern Munich, Manchester United in 2018-19 vs Paris SG and Spurs in 2018-19 vs Ajax.
- Chelsea have won each of their last two matches in European competition that were held in Spain (4-0 vs Sevilla in the group stages and 2-0 vs Porto in the first leg) – they have never won three consecutive European matches held in Spain.
- After beating Leicester City 5-0 in the group stages of this competition in December 2016, Porto are winless in their following seven matches against English sides in the Champions League (D2 L5), scoring only twice while conceding 16 goals themselves.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in the Champions League this season (P9 W7 D2 L0), and could become the first English to go unbeaten across their first 10 games in a season in the competition since Liverpool in 2017-18 (11 games).
- Chelsea have kept seven clean sheets in nine Champions League matches this season, the joint-most along with Manchester City; the last side to keep more clean sheets in a single campaign in the competition was Juventus in 2016-17 (nine). The Blues are looking to keep a clean sheet in four consecutive matches in the competition for the first time since a run of six ending in March 2008.
- Porto have won only one of their 20 Champions League knockout stage matches as the away side (D6 L13), with that coming against Deportivo de La Coruna in the semi-finals in 2003-04.
- Sergio Oliveira has scored five Champions League goals for FC Porto this term, the joint-most in a season by a Portuguese player for a Portuguese club, along with Nuno Gomes in 1998-99 for Benfica. The last to score more in a European Cup campaign was Eusebio in 1967-68, also for Benfica (6 goals).
- Chelsea have won their last seven Champions League matches with Edouard Mendy in the team – the only goalkeeper to win more consecutive games for an English club in the competition is fellow Frenchman Fabien Barthez with Manchester United during the 2002-03 campaign (eight games).
- Mason Mount is looking to become only the second Englishman to score in both legs of a Champions League knockout stage tie for Chelsea after Frank Lampard, who did so against Bayern Munich in 2004-05 at the quarter-final stage.
Chelsea head to Seville looking to protect a 2-0 lead following their dominant display against Porto last week. The Blues also returned to winning ways on the weekend as they cruised past Crystal Palace in a 4-1 win. Porto have a mountain to climb as they need to make up two away goals on Tuesday. Sérgio Conceição went against the odds to get the job done against Juventus but against Chelsea this could be a task too far.
Chelsea have never managed to win three European matches in a row on Spanish soil, but Tuchel’s impressive squad depth, commitment to defending and empty medical room is the perfect recipe for success against Porto, who must take inspiration from Sam Allardyce’s West Brom if they are to somehow dump the Blues out of the competition. With one foot firmly in the semi-finals of the Champions League, Chelsea once again travel to Seville for the ‘home’ leg of their Champions League quarter-final showdown with Porto on Tuesday night.
Goals from Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell propelled the Blues to a comfortable 2-0 win in the first meeting, and once again, the Portuguese champions have been left with a mountain to climb to salvage their European season.